Pet Poisoning Prevention and Help

Suspected pet poisoning is an URGENT health concern. During April 2015, we were very sad to hear from a SCARS adopter who had recently lost their beloved pet to antifreeze poisoning. She made the mistake of thinking a small lick of antifreeze wouldn’t be deadly for her large breed dog. Within 24 hours, she had lost her best friend of five years. Even a trace amount of this deadly toxin can cause kidney failure to both cats and dogs within days. She asked us to share her story as a warning to others. With immediate veterinary care, her dog could have been saved. If you suspect your pet has been poisoned, please contact a veterinarian as soon as possible. Here are some resources to help:
  • Alberta Veterinary Medical Association – member directory search (for example, type the word “emergency” to bring up list of emergency clinics in Alberta)
  • Pet Poison Helpline – If you can’t reach a local vet clinic immediately, another option is to seek advice from this 24/7 Animal Poison Control Centre 1-855-764-7661 ($49 per incident fee applies). (Note: SCARS is not associated with this service and cannot vouch for its quality or availaility. It’s an option pet guardians can consider if help is urgently needed.)

Learn about the dangers…


Share This Post, Choose Your Platform!


Go to Top